Ten Ways to Extend the Life of Your Gold Plated Jewelry
Platinum, silver, and 18k gold are not indestructible - regardless of any claims or guarantees.
Perfumes, creams, lotions, and makeup all contain substances than can affect plated jewelry. Some soaps and detergents are stronger and harsher than others. Certain fruits and vegetables are acidic. Some are more alkaline.
Meaning, any substance that isn’t PH neutral can potentially affect your plated jewelry. However, there are ways to how to care for and extend the life of your gold plated jewelry for many years:
- Wash your hands before putting on or taking off plated jewelry.
- Put on gold plated earrings after you’ve applied your perfume.
- Put on your plated jewelry after you have applied lotion or put on makeup.
- Take off your plated rings or bracelets before chopping tomatoes for dinner.
- You also might want to remove your plated jewelry before changing junior’s diaper.
- Avoid rubbing plated bracelets and necklaces against each other. Try to prevent plated rings from banging into counter tops and rubbing against car keys buried in pockets and purses.
- Don’t swim in your plated jewelry. See below.
- Don’t wear your plated jewelry when you’ll be sweating profusely.
- Clean your plated jewelry gently, and don’t rub it.
- Store your gold plated jewelry in a pouch or soft cloth separate from other jewelry
All of our jewelry is made from 316L Stainless Steel. There are many benefits of stainless steel jewelry, including:
- It will not tarnish or rust.
- Higher durability for jewelry that will last years.
- It is ideal for sensitive skin.
Will the plating finish and color fade over time?
- As with almost all jewelry, plating and polishing naturally fades over time from exposure to oils in the skin and the environment, use of perfumes and colognes, and use of abrasive household cleaners. This fading can take months or even years - it's difficult to predict. If your product begins to fade within 30 days of receiving it, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will replace your item.